Bruce (kor27) wrote,

Snap Crackle Pop

After finally getting myself back to sleep yesterday, I eventually woke up at the much more sane hour of 12:30pm, to a much less disturbing light level.

After my usual gyrations, I was out the door by about 3:30pm, which is still quite a bit earlier than usual.

A couple of errands later (Getting a copy of TurboTax at Costco, and checking out motherboards at MicroCenter), I was really hungry, so I dropped by the Acapulco. I used to go there a lot when I lived in Santa Clara, many many years ago. It's a lovely building with a very pleasant feel.

The food, however, from at least that one sampling, has gone downhill quite a bit. I don't really know how to describe it - everything was strangely greasy for Mexican food.

But whatever.

I still had some hours to kill before the show, and I still hadn't settled on a solution for supersniffles, so I dragged myself kicking and screaming to Fry's. Not that I had much better luck than the last time I was there, but I managed to grab a different CD/DVD cleaner disc (which worked, later - well, it loaded. Whether it had a positive effect is more of a question), and entertained myself for an hour or so.

Then off to the bar, arriving at the stroke of 7:00pm, or, as we say in the business, "20 minutes before Paula got there."

Turns out it was a good thing I was there, too, since Esperanza and company (two very nice women that I carefully introduced myself to, and whose names have, of course, completely flown my mind) were there to scout out the place for their dance show in May. So I was able to talk sound systems, and layout, and quote a price for my part of the evening, and show them around what we have.

At least, that is, once Paula got there. I did a lot of handwaving before she did so.

Then it was a matter of dragging all the equipment in and setting it up, which went, well, pretty much as it always does. Even with all the distraction, I was ready to go by about 8:10pm. Meaning, of course, that people didn't show up until 8:40pm.

But quite a nice group showed up. We had many of the regulars, including cekyr0 and jeffercine, and a new group of, well, boys. Straight boys. Reasonably nice, but with that tinge of that really annoying kinda loud, kinda knee-jerk behavior that straight boys have ("I'm here with my peeps!"). Getting the mic out of their hands took a little bit of wrestling each time.

princesskiti22 and candiddani were, of course, completely entranced.

Then there was the (at least temporary) return of the electrichobbit, accompanied, not too surprisingly, by jorgitoelcubano.

And also the return of Shawn and Eddie, after long, long absence. They showed up a little after midnight, and since it had slowed down a bit, got to sing three times. Well, actually, four.

I ran for 7 rotations, ending at 2:00am. But Shawn had asked if he and Lisa could sing a duet for the last song. So, what the hell, I let them. Then Keri and Eddie wanted to do a duet too, so I let them as well - irritating Shawn to no end.

I'm thinking he'll get over it.

The bar did reasonably well, Keri and I did quite a bit better than usual in tips, and all was right in the world.

Except the sound system. I had the same problem as Thursday again. I'd been hoping, since Friday went without a hitch, that I'd solved the noise issue. But no, it seems to be something to do with the house system. So I got to spend another evening trying to figure out the problem, as various people came up to me to tell me that one of the speakers had blown.

Except that the noise was coming out of all the speakers. I'm suspecting there's something going on with the house mixer board. I'll be bringing more equipment tonight - including my speakers, an AV switch I can use to bypass the house mixer entirely, and a ¼" adapter for my headphones, so I can listen to the sound at a couple of stages along the pipeline.

Anyway. I was closed down by something like 2:30am, then decompressed at the Mini, before heading home and passing out in my chair. And now I'll probably be making the transfer to the bed. At least, once I find that AV switch...

  • Oh yeah! Updates!

    What with all the moving, I haven't kept up with the updates I've made to the collection. But there area a fair chunk of new songs. The track count…

  • A Few

    I have just a few new songs, mostly requests that finally got made. The track count is now 23,973, and the unique song count is 17,595.

  • The Latest Dribble

    There's a show tonight, so I thought I'd list the recent additions, which includes a few requests that became available during the hiatus. The…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.