Bruce (kor27) wrote,
Bruce
kor27

  • Location:
  • Mood:

Gettin' Better All The Time...

Last night's show was a hell of a lot of fun. With a side-serving of potential drama...

It was reasonably slow, though the rotation did make it to about 17 for one round. On the other hand, the first 3 rounds were 4 people long. To finish off the stats, I ended the show around 1:30 at the end of the 9th round.

What all that comes to is that there were enough people there to make an appreciative audience, and everyone got to sing quite a number of times. So we had a good time - even trivialt.

synkitty tapped ladyelsena to give her a ride again, sans Jasmine this time. So I got to play around with Aurellia some more.

misdev and Angel showed up, and had a pretty good time. Watching the tension between the two groups - OK, mostly the tension in Synthia - was rather amusing, though my booth had to serve as a drama-avoidance vehicle a couple of times.

The really funny thing was finding a new song. Well, a new track - I already have a better copy of the same song in the book.

It's not unusual, when making new books, to find various errors. I've been doing a lot of fixes - mostly minor things like making all versions of a band name the same. I've also been "filling out" the ends of longer song titles, because the old songbook software had a fairly low song length limit.

But completely coincidentally, I discovered last night that a disc was entered with incorrect track entries. kozmic_tar sang a song that had apparently never before been done, and the track number was off by one.

The reason I say "never before been done" is that whenever there's a mismatch between a slip and a disc, I check the book. There was one known error of that type in the 1/8/05 books. However, apparently when that particular disc was entered, a track was skipped - and so the last 5 or so songs were misnumbered.

So I've now printed up a couple of "6/13/06" books that include the missing track. Woo.

Today - apart from printing and binding books - I had lunch at the Sonoma Chicken Coop with timenchanter, cekyr0, wissavix, and isabeau10. Good food, great people.

I'll also be leaving before too long to have dinner with Beth. She's insisting she should get around to buying me a birthday dinner. I don't find it necessary, but I'm not going to say no. So I'll get to catch up with her when we have dinner at Thaiphoon.

On the technical side of things - not that anyone cares - I've managed to reduce the songbook size quite a bit, and so have finally posted the PDFs where KoC points to them.

There were two things - first, I had initially always put out the full artist and song title strings, irrelevant of length, but put a clipping window around the table box. This looked... OK, but turned out to have a bad effect on searching. For some stupid reason, Acrobat will consider the "clipped" text to be merged with the visible text - so a search for either will fail. It also meant there was a lot of clipping info in the PDF.

So I modified the PostScript code to instead test the string length against the available window. If too long, it cuts it down by a character, replaces the last character with an ellipsis, and tries again. Voilà! No clipping windows, it looks a little better, and about 200K evaporate from the file.

I managed to lose even more by using pdfmark functionality to clip out the logo and refer to it from every page, rather than redrawing it. The "Karaoke" part of the logo is from a relatively complex font, and has been "exploded" into a set of curves. As a result, the logo is about 20K, which adds up over 249 pages.

The result of all that is that the songbook files are around 700K, rather than their original 2Meg. Given that the database itself is around 500K (Sans index files), that's not too shabby.
Subscribe

  • Oh yeah! Updates!

    What with all the moving, I haven't kept up with the updates I've made to the collection. But there area a fair chunk of new songs. The track count…

  • A Few

    I have just a few new songs, mostly requests that finally got made. The track count is now 23,973, and the unique song count is 17,595.

  • The Latest Dribble

    There's a show tonight, so I thought I'd list the recent additions, which includes a few requests that became available during the hiatus. The…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 2 comments